Wednesday, March 7, 2012

from the heART: what's in a name

A few months back something very exciting happened to my older sister. Yes! was her answer to her boyfriend, now fiances, question of marriage. Like I said, something very exciting happened. And just like that, with a very simple answer came a not so simple whirlwind of planning a wedding. It has been wonderful seeing everything come together and I cannot wait for mid April!

However, as I've quickly learned, planning a wedding isn't all fun. There are extremely important decisions to be made people! What ties should the guys wear? Should we have a DJ? What kind of cake should there be? Okay, so I'm only kidding with those questions but weddings and marriage do bring up actual important questions. One question that my sister recently has been mulling over is, what about her name? I cannot speak from personal experience (just yet) but it seems very bizarre that it will only take one short day and I will no longer be Chelsea Moody. I'll be completely honest. I love my last name, probably because I love my family and I really do take pride in being a Moody. This is something that I believe my sister feels the same.

She asked today "i've been thinking about my name change...so initially, my immediate thoughts were to just drop moody and go nicole ashley wise. buuuut, lately i've been toying with the idea of nicole moody wise... have you stopped laughing yet? i know it sounds ridiculous, but i never use my middle name anyways, so why not keep moody as a middle name because it is fun?? thoughts?"

My response to her was quite simple. If your middle name does not hold any special meaning or significance, why not drop it, and move your last name in place of your middle name, keeping it somewhat a part of you. I know we will always be Moodys at heart but it wouldn't hurt seeing it still there on your drivers license, right?

No comments: