Friday, March 16, 2012

from the heART: 73 donate blood


Number 73: Donate blood turned out to be more easily acquired then I thought it would be. United Blood Services came to my work and I felt I had no other choice but to sign up and be able to check another item off the list.

I haven't donated blood since high school, so my nerves did get the best of me. The anticipation and build up to the actual donating is awful! You sit and wait until someone comes to get you and you sit through a series of tests, questions, (and in my opinion the worst part of it all) the prick on the finger to test your iron. After passing all the tests, they take you over to the donating chair and sit you down. There seemed to be a lot going once I was seated and so I continued to just sit. Watch others begin, watch others finish, watch the ladies
package up the donated blood, watch one girl almost pass out.

At this point, all the watching was not easing any nerves I was having but then finally it was my turn. The lady was very kind and hooked me up and off I went donating!

Then the watching continued. I watched my two friends finish donating, then watched them enjoying cookies and juice. Watched one girl across from me get hooked up. Then watched her get unhooked after finishing. I continued to sit and wait (and yes I was squeezing the tube but didn't seem to be speeding up the process). After multiple check-ins from the lady in charge, and readjustments, I did it! I was finished! I then received my cookies and juice and a sticker that said "Be a hero, donate blood!" So I am proud to announce, that I did donate blood and you can call me a hero!