Tuesday, August 9, 2011

from the heART: The art of killing

Tonight started as a typical Tuesday night. Heading home from work, the plan was to go to the gym, eat dinner, then park myself on the couch with my computer. Well, life threw a wrench into that plan quite quickly.

Anyone that knows me well probably knows that my biggest fear, ok biggest phobia, is of cockroaches. Yes, life handed me hunger and gave me a roach. Its the little things in life that I take pleasure in and upon coming home from the gym, I was quite excited to make some yummy mac and cheese. I took out the box, turned around, set it on the counter, looked up and screamed! Yup, right there in front of me was a sick, nasty, roach. After the scream and running out of the room, I quickly texted my roommate to inform her of what was currently taking place in our home. With courage built up, bug spray in hand, I slowly made my way back into the kitchen to face my nemesis. As life would have it though, he was no where in sight. Some might then take on the mindset, out of sight out of mind. Well not this lady!


I begin moving everything off the counter top to ensure that nothing gets in my way of the killing that is about to take place. Bug spray in hand I start spraying like there is no tomorrow. I spray the counter top where I saw him, under the fridge, the ground, the stove top, the wall, behind the fridge....basically everywhere that he may run. I back away from the kitchen still keeping my eyes alert for movement and now the wait begins. One minute passes, nothing. Five minutes go by, still nothing. But I am standing my ground, if I have to stand there all night.


FINALLY, there he is and BAM! hit him with bug spray and then gone again. This little game of cat and mouse continues for the next 27 minutes! He runs and hide, then reappears. Then runs and hide, and once again reappears, every time getting another dose of spray. Until he has had enough and I finally become the victor and he becomes dead! Sure the entire kitchen is now coated in bug spray and the roach is trapped under a cup, he is in fact dead! My night did not turn out as I had hoped and after the final killing, sure I headed to my parents house to find dinner there because I had absolutely no desire to be in my house let alone the kitchen. Such is life and the little improvisations that make it interesting and keep you on your toes.

No comments: